Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Regardless of another night in hospital...

So I went to labor and delivery last night. This time, Praise Jesus, I was only there for 3 hours instead of 8! :) I was having contractions about 5 minutes apart, and while I was there they grew closer together. I took my Procardia at 11:30 PM while at the hospital, and they gave me 2 shots of terbutaline. The first shot of the terb. did not slow the contractions enough so they gave me a second dose. 


Thankfully, the contractions did not change my cervix so I remain at the same dilation and effacement! Thank you Jesus. I am super ecstatic about the non change to my cervix and the ability to slow the contractions, but I did find myself a bit frustrated with the nurse. I found myself a little frustrated because she said well, "yes, you are contracting a lot, but they may not be changing your cervix so you may just be one who contracts for 2-3 weeks consistent like this and does not change." She also told that I don't need to come to the hospital every time I am contracting unless they are painful and stronger. This may be true because I very could not progress, but this was frustrating to me because I contract 2-3 minutes apart, and my contractions are sometimes painful but not always.  I do know they do not always have to be painful to cause cervical change so now I have no idea if I should just ignore them or still continue to go to the hospital and have them stopped?   


My doctor is the one who tells me to come in, but it is a little frustrating when the nurse says oh you didn't really need to come in because it didn't make any change. Although, I do not expect much change if I am getting the contractions stopped quickly.  I guess I am just a little confused on when to go in to the hospital and when not to. I fear that if I ignore the contractions regardless of how close together they are with the thought of, "well they don't hurt so they are not doing anything" then I will find myself giving birth at home because I was making change and didn't know. 


Regardless of my slight frustration with some of the medical advice I have been receiving it would be great if Jude stayed in there a few more weeks. At least 2 weeks and 6 days!! I am counting the days because EVERY day counts!    


A sweet friend reminded me of this verse yesterday. 
Psalms 121:1-2 I lift my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come from? My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. 


My help does come from the Lord!! The Lord alone!! All glory be to Him!!  


I am so blessed and beyond thankful for the grace that my good God has shown us through this challenging pregnancy. It has been amazing and such an encouragement to see my family, church family, and friends cover my family in prayer. 


                            Photo Copyrighted by April Harnish Photography 


These verses reminds me so much of our trial through this pregnancy. 


Romans 5: 1-5 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us. 


James 1:2-4 Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. 

These remind me of our situation because I really do feel like my faith is being testing through this time, and I have been able to press through these muddy waters with the strength of the Lord. The Lord is building endurance in me and my hope in Christ has been increased during this trial. I have my moments of weakness, but I know through my weakness His power is made perfect (2 Cor 2:9-10) and my weakness reminds me that I am not sufficient. My sufficiency is through Him! 


I have seen His grace and mercy for my family so much it has truly been incredible. You know I would rather be going through this suffering with the strength, love, grace, mercy, etc of my Savior than to go through this suffering not knowing Him. If it were not for Christ I would completely have fallen apart by now, but He is my rock, my glue! 


So please continue to pray for God's perfect timing for the birth of sweet Jude. Please pray for strength and endurance for Taylor and myself as we battle through this trial. Thank you! 
                                                   Photo Copyrighted by April Harnish Photography 

8 comments:

  1. I say always listen to your doctor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Call your Dr. today and ask him/her to be specific with you. Then go by what they say. It's easy for a nurse to say what she did in hindsight, but when you are going through it and needing to keep the babe in there a little longer, lean towards being more conservative. Generally, the contractions aren't going to dilate you if they aren't lasting more than 50 seconds, yet they can be effacing you. First babies you need to be effaced pretty well before you dilate but after the first, you can dilate and efface at the same time. Again...call your doc and ask what they want you to do, then tell the nurse that you are following your doctors orders by coming in. And the best plan??? Pray...ask God for wisdom and ask HIM to let you know which time is the right time. He will! I promise you won't miss it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, my doctor is on vacation until Thursday so I would just be speaking to the dr on call, which is tough because I have to explain the whole situation to them. I am trying to hold out then. I do have an appt monday so I may just try and hold out til then and have her check me monday. * Sigh* I am not sure though. This is my second baby, and my contractions are about 2-3 min apart and last from 45-60 seconds or so.

      Delete
  3. I agree with these ladies. Follow doctor's orders and speak with her about it directly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Randi I think that is what I am going to do. :)

      Delete
  4. I think that nurse was sadly not being sensitive to your situation, and I'm sorry for that on behalf of nurses! I think you did the right thing in responding to what your concerns are. It's her job to assess the situation with you, and your doctor too and determine the plan. Ok...I'll stop ranting. Keep meditating on those awesome scriptures and we're praying he continues to "cook" in there for the needed time! :)

    Holly

    ReplyDelete